Friday 16 March 2012

Hoping for Good Fortune...

What a crazy chaotic fickle place this Africa is! 
One of the most disheartening things about Monday's meeting was coming halfway around the world to find out something basic about the agency's adoption process.  And now...breath held...I think it's going to happen.  And it's BECAUSE I came halfway around the world.  There is no way this agency would be moving forward with me if they hadn't met me, if Paul hadn't given me street cred, if the lawyer hadn't decided to go to bat for us.  The randomness seems to go on and on. 
Wednesday afternoon I got a text - come and visit our Babies' Home at 11am tomorrow.
ACK!!!!!
So barely containing myself, I went.  It was all on the condition of anonymity.  I was not there to pick out a child, but to see the facility, the caretakers, and I think for the directors to see the children with me.  I went still unsure if they had fully decided to work with me or not.  I had high hopes - why would they take me that close to the children if they were not going to move forward in the process?  It would only get more difficult for me, and this time for the children. 
So the kids did not know I was coming as a prospective adoptive parent.  I doubt they knew I was coming at all.  The Foundation was still in meetings - they are still finishing their accredidations.   I was taken to the backyard - where all the children were playing.  Immediately a boy and girl came running up to me - wanting to be picked up, hold my hands, sit on my lap.  So I picked them both up (thankful for my experience with twins - this was second nature).  But then 2 more came.  So I sat down and they all came onto my lap.  And I was in heaven.  They played with my sunglasses, examined my water bottle, pulled on my ring...but mostly cuddled and played and giggled. 
There were also 3 infants (maybe 4?) and an older girl who was shy of me. 
Because of their meetings, I was there for only an hour.  But as I left, I spoke to the director.  After their paperwork is finished, we will be their first American family!!  I have not finished their intake papers, and I have some other crazy immigration papers to transfer over from Ethiopia, so there is a part of me trying to hold back in the event that this just crumbles.  But honestly, it's too late.  She told me this would happen, and my heart cracked open.  I know better than to let myself go there, but I have been holding back this whole time and I just don't have the strength to anymore.  So, if it sadly does not happen - and I know this could be - then please be nice to me, for I might have a little piece of me crumble too. 

4 comments:

  1. In case I haven't said this enough Adrienne, my family and I love you. I have been incredibly moved today by your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, my dear, really can move mountains. All signs really do point to this coming to fruition! But if for some reason it shouldn't (be we won't think that, will we!), you know that there are so many of us here to help pick up the pieces and figure out next steps and drink wine to drown sorrows ;-) Can't wait to hear about the adventure in person. Safe travels!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it does or doesn't happen, you can be proud that you did everything you could. No t was left uncrossed; no i was left undotted; no rock was left unturned.
    So if it all works out, you have succeeded, but if it doesn't, you have NOT failed. You have just been temporarily thwarted. There will be another day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title of this post seems prescient now that you know your son and his name is Fortunate! I have felt honored to be following your story and I'm so happy for all of you!

    ReplyDelete